3 Steps to Using a Car Insurance Calculator
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 1, 2016
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
A car insurance calculator is a great way to make sense of car insurance rates. You may want to try to use one on your own to try to get an estimate of what your rates should be. Of course, if you are interested in a car insurance calculator you should have an idea of how it all works.
- By using some basic data about yourself you can get some general guidelines about what you could be expecting to pay.
- If you use a car insurance calculator you will need to provide some general data aside from just your zip code. The basics would include things like your age, gender and the type of vehicle you drive.
- A car insurance calculator can be more complicated than just getting free quotes based on your zip code because you will need to know a lot more information. You should expect to know things like exactly how many mile you drive each day to and from work. You will need to know the make, model and mileage for your car. You will also need to know every last detail of your driving record. Simply forgetting a minor traffic ticket from over two years ago can make a big difference on the estimate and your actual rates.
So, if you would like to use a car insurance calculator it would be a good idea to make sure you take the time to gather all of this data up first. Without it, you cannot get a real and true estimate which means the time you invest is pointless. Especially, since this is just the first step in getting your insurance. You will still have to take the time to contact each different auto insurance policy provider yourself and request quotes.
These quotes will begin to slowly trickle in and you may find to your disappointment that they do not match the car insurance calculator results you had. Don’t make the same mistake many drivers do and simply settle for the first quote you get out of frustration. Also, keep in mind that the auto insurance calculator is only meant to give you a rough estimate. You can get better quotes by simply using your zip code to get started.
Quick Tips to Keep in Mind
The problem is many drivers don’t realize what to expect when it comes to their car insurance rates. Here are a few things that may help you have a better understanding:
- Your state minimum of liability or no fault auto insurance policy coverage will impact your rates
- The amount you owe on your car versus the value of your car will also affect the rates
- If you are in the military or belong to any types of organizations you can also hope to see some rate discounts
- While a calculator is a great tool, to get real rates just use your zip code and let the quotes come to you. A car insurance calculator is a great way to get an idea an idea but using your zip code can help you get real quotes.