Car Insurance Estimate – The Do’s & Dont’s
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 1, 2016
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Before signing up for auto policy coverage you should get an idea of what you might have to pay by getting a car insurance estimate. This can be especially important if you have never have car insurance coverage on your own before. Or if you are planning to buy a new car you should get auto insurance estimates so you will be able to determine if a new car and the insurance coverage are within your budget. If you have been putting off getting coverage or even quotes, you don’t have to wait another day.
Of course, you may know some of the basics about auto insurance policies, what they cover and what impacts the rates but there are probably some details you actually do not know about. Although it all only starts with your zip code, there are other things you should understand about your car insurance estimate and what you could eventually end up paying.
How Easy is it?
Getting a car insurance estimate can take minutes if not seconds these days. Drivers at one time had to invest a great deal of time into the process. This meant contacting each different car insurance policy provider and giving them all of your personal information, then waiting for days until someone called you back with quotes. It’s no wonder that people ended up settling for the first quote they got back then.
The problem is too many drivers are still using this old fashioned method instead of using their zip code to get a car insurance estimate. So, here is what you should keep in mind about your estimates:
- The first thing to keep in mind is that your car insurance quotes should always be free. If a person or company asks you for a fee to get quotes don’t give it another thought, just move on.
- To get the basics for auto insurance quotes you should be able to use this type of service with nothing more than your zip code to get started. If someone wants more information than you are comfortable with it is a good idea not to give out the data. This is especially true if it comes to your social security number, credit card number or bank routing numbers. Until you are far along in the process with a trusted professional to need to give these out, be leery of anyone requesting these details early in the quotes stages.
- When you get estimates you may also want to go ahead and check on things like how much it could be to add a driver like your spouse or teenaged child for your car or their own. Adding drivers to one policy instead of each driver having their own can help you save money.
- Look for possible ways to get discounts when it comes to your car insurance estimate quotes. Find out if companies offer military or retired vet auto insurance rates, if this is applicable to your situation. Also check to see if your rates will drop if you should add safety features or anti-theft devices to your vehicles. Sometimes the cost of adding these is worth the savings on insurance premiums you will get.
- Look into bundling your policies for other types of insurance too. Many people already have a home owners or renters insurance policy through a company. Or you may have life insurance, motorcycle insurance or boat coverage. Find out if you could be saving on all of these if you are willing to combine them to be covered by one policy provider.
- If you are under 25 find out if there is anything you can do to help lower your rates, like taking a driver’s education course. If you do join the military, enroll in college, maintain a high grade point average or get married see if you could be saving more than what your car insurance estimate suggested.
Getting auto insurance coverage can be a bit of a hassle. Your life is probably so busy as it is that it seems impossible to think about replacing your current policy or even getting a policy started. This makes the process as easy as can be, and you really won’t have to do the work to get your car insurance estimate quotes.
All you have to do is use your zip code to get started. From there the results will come to you. Then, all you have to do is narrow it down to one affordable choice.