Full Coverage Car Insurance – Quick Guide to Understand
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 1, 2016
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Using a full coverage car insurance calculator to determine what types of monthly premiums you could be looking at for your auto insurance is a great way to be a smart consumer. Drivers often times make the error of not getting a number of rates to compare and end up paying more than they need to be for their full coverage auto insurance policy. By using the calculator you can give yourself the consumer’s advantage of having competitive rates to choose from for your insurance.
Another common mistake drivers make is to get too little policy in an attempt to save money. If you have insurance but still do not meet your state’s minimum requirements or those set by your financial lender for your car loan, you could still end up in legal and financial trouble. Make sure you are well aware of the minimums you are required to have before signing up for your policy. With those minimums in mind, you can use a full coverage insurance calculator to determine your rates.
So what is full coverage auto insurance?
Generally full coverage does not mean having all of your legal and financial responsibilities covered as many drivers unfortunately think. Usually all this actually does is make sure the guidelines of your state’s minimum insurance requirements are met as well as what is required to satisfy the needs spelled out by your car loan lender.
- For some states, this could be as little as a bare liability car insurance policy coverage. Other states may require no fault insurance. Meeting the guidelines required by your car loan lender often means a more pricy policy.
- For more extensive policy coverage, drivers often choose collision car insurance, comprehensive auto insurance or a policy that includes both kinds. You can also get gap coverage.
Using a Full Coverage Insurance Calculator
When you are ready to use an online device such as a full coverage car insurance calculator, you should keep some things in mind.
- A good majority of your rate quotes can be determined by using your zip code and this is generally the best starting point. Though the state you live in will factor into what the rates are, your specific zip code can pinpoint more exact rates.
- Aside from your zip code, you will have to eventually have other data to get a more accurate idea of your rates. Try to have a clear idea of details such as previous accidents and tickets including dates. Also this helps you be aware of how soon something like this may be coming off of your records so you can get your insurance policy to reflect this as soon as possible.
- You should be using a full coverage auto insurance calculator to ensure that you are being offered the best and most competitive rates available. There are too many auto insurance policy providers around today to make the mistake of taking a rate that is higher than it should be.
After You Get Your Quotes
It is a good idea to get a minimum of three quotes as a result of your full coverage car insurance calculator. Of course, the more you get the better. Make sure each policy covers the minimum of what you need and see if there are other things included you like better, which could help you make a choice.
From there find other ways to cut down on costs. For instance, most auto insurance companies will offer you discounted rates if you pay your premiums annually or even quarterly as opposed to monthly. If the discount for this is high enough it may be worth your while to save up a little bit more and make those larger premium car insurance payments annually or quarterly.
Also for many new policies, you must have a down payment. Insurance providers will usually give you the option to pay this lump sum or break it down to be included within your monthly payments. While the monthly breakdown may be more convenient, it generally ends up costing a bit more. Try to factor in coming up with the full down payment up front when you use your full coverage auto insurance calculator.
Getting a full coverage car insurance policy doesn’t have to be time consuming or expensive; it’s just a matter of using the right approach to getting your policy. By just using your zip code, you can get started with quotes from your full coverage insurance calculator to get the best deal possible.