The Parent’s Ultimate Guide to Teen Driving
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Oct 1, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Many parents have mixed feelings when it comes to their teenage child getting his or her driver’s license. For instance, parents may be glad that they don’t have to drive the teenager everywhere
he or she goes. In addition, many parents are worried about their teenager’s safety on the road. Fortunately, there are ways that parents can prepare their teenagers for the responsibilities of driving. The following offers helpful resources to parents of new teenage drivers.
Talking with Your Teen about Safe Driving
Parents of new teenage drivers have the opportunity to teach them a lot of valuable and practical lessons. In fact, teenage drivers can benefit from the experiences and knowledge of a parent. For instance, a parent with a lot of experience driving in snowy weather could convey some tips to the teenager on adjusting to various road conditions. Also, a parent can establish certain rules in regard to use of the family car. One rule may be that the teenager can have no more than two friends in the car at a time. A teenage driver who understands the expectations of his or her parents is more likely to drive in a safe manner.
- Helpful Information for Parents of Teen Drivers: The Centers for Disease Control offers facts about teen drivers and how parents can help their teens drive safely.
- Teens and Safe Driving: Learn how parents can influence the driving practices of their teenagers.
- Parents Guiding Their Teen Drivers: Discover some actions a parent can take to teach and prepare a teen driver for the road.
- Contract Between Parent and Young Driver: (PDF) Check out an agreement between parents and young drivers.
- Talking Points Between Parents and Teen Drivers: Find 52 talking points that help parents keep an open line of communication with their new teen driver.
- Drivers Ed Direct: Online education and driving instruction school for teens.
How Will Your Teen’s Driving Affect Your Insurance?
Parents of new drivers can expect to pay a higher rate of insurance for them. The inexperience of a new driver increases his or her chances of having an accident. As a new driver establishes a clean driving record, he or she will have the opportunity to take advantage of lower insurance rates. In the meantime, parents can help lower the insurance rates of a new teen driver by making sure they practice safe driving habits. Also, parents may want to inquire with their insurance company about any auto insurance discounts connected with a student’s good grades.
- Facts on Teens and Auto Insurance: (PDF) Look at some facts on teen drivers and auto insurance considerations for them.
- The Facts about Car Insurance for New Drivers: Read an article that relays facts about the costs of insurance for young drivers.
- The Details on Buying Car Insurance for Young Drivers: Discover some things that can lower the rates of a new driver’s car insurance.
- Learning about Auto Insurance: Find answers to basic questions regarding auto insurance.
Teen Safe Driving Initiatives
A teen safe driving initiative brings attention to a particular issue that affects young drivers. One example of a teen safe driving initiative concerns teens and distracted driving. Texting and driving is a dangerous practice that teens (and others) participate in. The initiative may include stories about the lives of some teenagers that have been changed as a result of an accident caused by texting and driving. The goal of a teen safe driving initiative is to convince teenagers to not participate in any practices that endanger them as well as other drivers on the road.
- Focus on Teens and Safe Driving: Look at some details on National Teen Driver Safety Week.
- Safe Teen Driver Program: Learn about a program concerned with safe teen driving.
- Teen Safe Driving Initiatives: Peruse some programs that highlight the importance of safe driving for teens.
- Distracted Driving Facts: Find several resources that convey information on distracted driving.
Tips for Teen Drivers
Inexperience is the reason behind many accidents that involve new teen drivers. Useful tips can be extremely helpful to teen drivers who are learning about the real-life scenarios that occur on the road. One useful tip for a teen driver is to pause an extra second or two after a red light turns green. By pausing for a few moments, a teen driver may avoid an accident caused by a fellow motorist who is rushing through an intersection just as his or her light is turning red. Another tip for teen drivers is to avoid talking on their cell phone or texting while in the car. By avoiding these practices, a teen is able to keep his or her attention on the road at all times. Teens should also avoid driving too close to the person in front of them.
- Reminders for Teen Drivers: Study some basic reminders for teens that can assist them in avoiding accidents.
- Ways for Young Drivers to Avoid Accidents: Find several tips that can help a teen to avoid accidents on the road.
- Useful Driving Tips for Teens: Parents and young drivers can go over these practical tips to help teens develop safe driving habits.
- Preparation for Teen Drivers: Check out information that helps a teen prepare for the responsibility of having a driver’s license.
Car Insurance Quotes and Calculations
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.